Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a thick, hearty, and delicious stew from Lean and Luscious and Meatless. Just add a salad and some bread and your meal is complete!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrot, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 4 cups mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 3 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans (12 ounces)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add small amounts of water, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
- Add remaining ingredients, except flour, 1/4 cup water, and wine.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir occasionally while cooking.
- In a small bowl, gradually stir flour into 1/4 cup water until smooth.
- Add to stew, along with wine.
- Cook, stirring, 5 more minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
I loved this recipe! I dident put any mushrooms though, not a fan of them. I also have used some leek in addition to the onions and it turns out great. Like many vegetable stews, it is easy to add and omit different items according to season, taste, availability. I have also tried adding corn which is good as well. Definantly a customizable stew!
So delicious. I played around with the ingredients to reduce the carbs. We paired it with Italian meatballs one night, grilled chicken another night, and then by itself. It never disappointed.
This recipe was fantastic! I cooked mine for an hour and added a sliced jalapeño, seeds and all.