1/1 Photo of Hearty Vegetable Stew
1 hr 15 mins
This is a thick, hearty, and delicious stew from Lean and Luscious and Meatless. Just add a salad and some bread and your meal is complete!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrot, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 4 cups mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 3 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (1 lb) can tomato, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans (12 ounces)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
- 3Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Add small amounts of water, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
- 5Add remaining ingredients, except flour, 1/4 cup water, and wine.
- 6Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- 7Stir occasionally while cooking.
- 8In a small bowl, gradually stir flour into 1/4 cup water until smooth.
- 9Add to stew, along with wine.
- 10Cook, stirring, 5 more minutes.
- 11Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Vegetable Stew
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.9
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 496.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 10.4 g