I Cook Therefore I Am's Note:
Cook's Illistrated Recipe, posted for safekeeping
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium portabella mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic, outer papery skins removed and the top their of the head cut off
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 9 cups low sodium chicken broth or 9 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium leeks, green parts chopped white parts sliced
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 ounce porcini mushroom
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position, heat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Place carrot, celery, onion, portobellos, and garlic head on rimmed baking sheet.
- 3Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- 4Add tomato paste and toss again until evenly coated.
- 5Spread vegetables in even layer and set garlic head, cut side up, roast until vegetables are well browned, 25-30 minutes.
- 6Combine roasted vegetables, broth, leek greens, parsley thyme, bay and porcini mushrooms in a large heavy bottomed pan.
- 7Cover and bring to a simmer over medium high heat, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer partially covered for about 30 minutes.
- 8Remove garlic head using gongs, squeeze garlic head at the room end until the cloves slip out of their skins.
- 9Using a fork, mash garlic to paste in a small bowl and set aside.
- 10Strain stock through a large fine-mesh strainer, pressing on solids to estract as much liquid as possible, discard solids in the strainer.
- 11Rinse out and wipe the pot, add the tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celeriac, reserved whites of leeks, strained broth and garlic paste to pot and bring to simmer over medium high heat.
- 12Reduce heat to medium low and simmer partially covered until vegetables are tender when poked with skewer, about 25 mnutes.
- 13With the back of a wooden spoon, mash some potatoes against the side of the pot to thicken the soup.
- 14Stir in escarole and lima beans and cook until escarole is wilted and the lima beans are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- 15Stire in the parsley, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (777 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.6
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 530.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 22.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh parsley leaves