Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This soup is great for this time of year as the vegetables are new and have such a great taste and flavor.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Mmmmm....what a fantastic recipe! I didn't expect this to turn out as well as it did. The directions were spot on. I only used 1 T. of dill and the only thing I would do different next time would be to use less soup base, it was a tad too salty for me. Thanks for this keeper recipe!
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped small
- 473.18 ml canned crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 1 large yukon gold potato, peeled and cubed 3/8 inch
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 118.29 ml cauliflower floret
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1419.54 ml water
- 59.16 ml vegetable stock base or 59.16 ml chicken soup base
- 1 small sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 236.59 ml frozen baby peas
- 29.58 ml dried dill weed
- 3.69 ml seasoning salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or cooking pot, add olive oil and butter and heat on medium-high.
- Add onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes including liquid and continue to cook on medium-high heat for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add vegetable or chicken broth, potatoes and carrots and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cauliflower, celery, water, vegetable soup base and cook for 8 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Add red pepper, petite baby peas, dill weed, seasoning salt and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve soup hot.
- Refrigerate any unused portions.