Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My husband and I love soup! I came up with this one and different variations with whatever I had on hand. So that means that this is more a method than a strict science. Just try different variations and see what you get! This goes well with hot cornbread.
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 -3 carrots, cleaned and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped cabbage
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 2 quarts chicken stock (homemade is best, but canned, bouillon or a combination is fine too, this can be vegan if you use ve) or 2 quarts vegetable stock (homemade is best, but canned, bouillon or a combination is fine too, this can be vegan if you use ve)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, include some of the liquid
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- salt and pepper
You can also try adding
- green beans or peas or mushrooms or potatoes or cooked egg noodles, but adjust the amount of stock accordingly
- In a soup pot, over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, carrots, celery, cabbage, bay leaf, garlic and steak seasoning for about 5 minutes.
- add the stock, tomatoes, beans, and corn. add salt and pepper to taste. bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer for and additional 10-15 minutes.
Delicious! I needed to use up veggies from the fridge and found this recipe which worked great. I left out celery and zucchini and used broccoli. It made so much I have leftovers in the freezer. Thanks!
Used sliced Brussels Sprouts instead of cabbage, can of fire roasted tomatoes, fresh corn, beef boullion stock (omitted steak seasoning), garbanzo beans instead of kidney, a bit of red pepper flakes and added two cups of extra broth. Tip, use a mandolin or food processor for slicing the veggies to cut down on time.
What a great soup...it was such a dreary cold day yesterday I thought a good batch of soup would be the ticket to a nice cozy evening....The only thing I changed was I added some alphabet noodles to the soup....it was great, I am sure I will be making again.