Recipe by graciethebaker
My husband and I love soup! I came up with this one and different variations with whatever I had on hand. So that means that this is more a method than a strict science. Just try different variations and see what you get! This goes well with hot cornbread.
Top Review by nemokitty
Delicious! I needed to use up veggies from the fridge and found this recipe which worked great. I left out celery and zucchini and used broccoli. It made so much I have leftovers in the freezer. Thanks!
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 -3 carrots, cleaned and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped cabbage
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 2 quarts chicken stock (homemade is best, but canned, bouillon or a combination is fine too, this can be vegan if you use ve) or 2 quarts vegetable stock (homemade is best, but canned, bouillon or a combination is fine too, this can be vegan if you use ve)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, include some of the liquid
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- salt and pepper
You can also try adding
- green beans or peas or mushrooms or potatoes or cooked egg noodles, but adjust the amount of stock accordingly
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, carrots, celery, cabbage, bay leaf, garlic and steak seasoning for about 5 minutes.
- add the stock, tomatoes, beans, and corn. add salt and pepper to taste. bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer for and additional 10-15 minutes.