Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A lower fat version of a Southern classic. Adapted from fbnr.com
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canspetite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen sliced okra, thawed
- Coat a 4-quart Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, parsley, oregano, pepper sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add rice. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add okra and cook, covered, 5 minutes more or until okra is tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.