Recipe by Manami
Corn, bell peppers, and green beans give this hearty soup its fresh, summery flavor; make a batch now, then freeze for up to six months. marthastewart.com. The combination is endless and can be seasonal, as well.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, diced (2 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups milk
- 4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 8 ears corn, kernels removed (about 4 cups)
- coarse salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed, broken into 1-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- hot pepper sauce, for serving (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven or 5-quart pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell peppers, and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add milk, potatoes, and 5 cups water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until potatoes are almost tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in corn, 1 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper & crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- Simmer until corn is tender, about 3 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer 3 cups of the solids to a blender; puree until smooth.
- Return to pot; add green beans.
- Bring to a simmer; cook until beans are tender, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Season again with salt; serve with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
- A nice loaf of hot bread, butter and a nice fresh fruit salad.