1 hr 10 mins
Corn, bell peppers, and green beans give this hearty soup its fresh, summery flavor; make a batch now, then freeze for up to six months. marthastewart.com. The combination is endless and can be seasonal, as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, diced (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups milk
- 4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 8 ears corn, kernels removed (about 4 cups)
- coarse salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed, broken into 1-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- hot pepper sauce, for serving (optional)
- 1In a Dutch oven or 5-quart pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- 2Add onion, bell peppers, and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add milk, potatoes, and 5 cups water.
- 4Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until potatoes are almost tender, about 8 minutes.
- 5Stir in corn, 1 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper & crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- 6Simmer until corn is tender, about 3 minutes.
- 7With a slotted spoon, transfer 3 cups of the solids to a blender; puree until smooth.
- 8Return to pot; add green beans.
- 9Bring to a simmer; cook until beans are tender, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 10Season again with salt; serve with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
- 11A nice loaf of hot bread, butter and a nice fresh fruit salad.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Vegetable Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.6
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 24.2 mg
- Sodium 104.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 10.2 g