Recipe by Julesong
Thick dish... somewhere between a soup and a stew, and therefore a "stoup." :) (Thank you, Rachael Ray, for that reference!)
Top Review by Sally Wolfe
I made this soup pretty much as directed except I browned the meat in olive oil, and added 2 bay leaves,and two cloves of garlic. I just had it for lunch and my sister and I thought it was excelent, I will freeze the rest in individule serving sizes for my husband and I.
- 2 lbs stew beef chunks, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn, or hominy (I prefer hominy)
- 3 1⁄2 quarts water
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1⁄2 cup dry split peas
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup lima beans (I dislike lima beans, and substitute edamame or black beans) (optional)
- 3 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 orange or yellow or green pepper, diced (bell pepper)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 medium tomatoes, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- In large kettle, cover beef with water and add chopped onion, salt, thyme.
- Bring to boil.
- Skim fat from surface.
- Add split peas, cover and simmer over low heat, 3-4 hours.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Note: if you'd like it thicker, you can add a torn-up piece of bread or two, stir well, and simmer to incorporate.