Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great soup to warm you up on a cold day. Great with a toasted crusty roll!
- 1 (40 g) package onion soup mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots
- 3⁄4 cup barley
- 3⁄4 cup celery
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 8 cups water
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, dissolve the onion soup mix in the water.
- Add each of the other ingredients and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down to low heat.
- Simmer covered for a minimum of 1 hour to allow barley to cook.
- Serve immediately. Great reheated as well.
Excellent soup and easy to prepare. I left out the celery as I did not have any. For the frozen vegetables, I used peas and carrots. My 13 year old daughter, my husband and I polished this off for supper tonight. Thanks for the recipe.