1/2 Photos of Hearty Vegetable and Lentil Soup
1 hr 5 mins
From The Australian Women's Weekly July issue featuring diabetic recipes. Times are estimates. Suitable for freezing. Per serve - 1360kj, 16g protein, 6g fat (1g saturated), 45g carbohydrate, 12g fibre, 500mg sodium and low GI
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions (medium 300g, chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (quartered)
- 2 stalks celery (200g, trimmed, chopped coarsely)
- 2 carrots (240g, peeled, chopped coarsely)
- 2 parsnips (500g, chopped coarsely)
- 1 kumara (500g, peeled, chopped coarsely)
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 2 cups vegetable stock (salt reduced 500ml)
- 1 liter water (4 cups)
- 1 cup red lentil (200g)
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water (extra 375ml)
- 2 slices bread (Low GI Burgen, toasted, to serve)
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan, cook onions, garlic, celery, carrots, parsnip and kumara for about 10 minutes or until vegetables start to soften. Add curry paste and cook until fragrant.
- 2Add stock, the water and lentils, bring to the boil.
- 3Reduce heat, simmer for about 25 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are soft.
- 4CORIANDER YOGHURT - Meanwhile blend half the yogurt with the coriander until smooth; stir in remaining yogurt. Refrigerate until required.
- 5Blend or process soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to a clean pan, stir in extra boiling water and bring to the boil. (If using a stick/immersion blender you can do it in the pot and then had extra boiling water.).
- 6Ladle soup into serving bowls, top with Coriander Yoghurt and a little freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
- 7Serve with toasted bread cut into six servings.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Vegetable and Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.2
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 2.0 mg
- Sodium 114.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: