Cook1 hr 15 mins
Delicious soup is wonderful with whole wheat bread or rolls. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1983)
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 -3 onions, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cut into cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 potato, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 cups tomato juice or 3 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Using a food processor and the steel knife mince parsley and set aside.
- With the food processor running drop garlic through the feed tube and mince. Add onions and chop using on/off turns. Transfer onion/garlic mixture to a large soup pot.
- Place meat in the food processor work bowl and chop using 6-8 on/off turns, then continue grinding until desired fineness is achieved. Add meat to pot and cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until browned.
- Clean out work bowl of food processor and then chop tomatoes using 4 on/off turns. Add to meat mixture in pot.
- Slice potato, carrots and celery using slicing disc. Add vegetables to pot along with tomato juice, broth, barley, salt, herbs and pepper. Cook over medium heat about 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf and stir in reserved parsley.