Recipe by Meghan
This is an excellent vegan recipe, its very hearty and flavorful. Don't write off this recipe for lack of meat, its really fab.
Top Review by MLG
This was a really delicious vegan soup. Its really hearty and filling. It always seems like there is a little something missing in soup stocks for vegan recipes, but the mix of spices really make this soup very flavorful. I couldnt stop eating it. Its great with warm foccacia bread too, FYI..
- 2 cups navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery leaves, and tender, inner stalks, chopped fine
- 1 cup cabbage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger (powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce or 1 dash habanero sauce
- Wash and pick over beans.
- Cover with water and soak overnight, or quick soak.
- Discard soaking water, rinse beans and put in a large soup pot.
- Add the 8 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Add carrots.
- In a nonstick pan saute onion in balsamic vinegar until it caramelizes (this takes a while on low heat).
- Add garlic, celery leaves, and cabbage.
- Continue sautéing, adding more liquid as necessary.
- When the mixture has cooked down somewhat, add it to the beans.
- Simmer *very* slowly for 2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and serve with hard bread and salad.