Recipe by Lvs2Cook
A delicious way to use up some of that leftover turkey. You may even have leftover crudites to use for the veggies. If you are able to get turkey stock, you can sub that for the chicken broth. One 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes (or petite diced) can be subbed for the fresh tomato.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups turkey broth
- 1⁄3 cup barley, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 2 cups turkey, cooked an chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or stockpot; add mushrooms and saute about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in chicken broth, barley, onion, sage and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until barley is almost tender.
- Stir in carrot, celery, zucchini and tomatoes; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add turkey and continue to cook, covered, about 15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender.