Recipe by Bev
Got Leftovers? Try this recipe for your turkey leftovers and no one would ever suspect they are eating leftover turkey. This recipe brought to you compliments of Ladies Home Journal.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 14.79 ml chopped garlic
- 236.59 ml long grain brown rice
- 396.89 g can chicken broth
- 59.14 ml water
- 1.23 ml dried sage
- 19.71 ml butter or 19.71 ml margarine
- 453.59 g shiitake mushrooms, stems removed or 453.59 g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 709.77 ml diced cooked turkey (3/4 lb.)
- 304.75 g can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in rice.
- Slowly add chicken broth, water and sage.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon (3 tsp) of the butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender and liquid has evaporated, 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 400 degree F.
- Grease bottom of shallow 2-quart baking dish with remaining 1 teaspoon butter.
- Spoon rice into dish and top evenly with turkey.
- Spoon mushrooms over turkey.
- Whisk together soup and wine in bowl; pour over top of mushrooms.
- Bake casserole until sauce is hot, 25 to 30 minutes.
- (If top becomes too dark, cover loosely with foil during last 15 minutes of baking.) Sprinkle top with parsley.
- Makes 6 servings.