Got Leftovers? Try this recipe for your turkey leftovers and no one would ever suspect they are eating leftover turkey. This recipe brought to you compliments of Ladies Home Journal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 4 teaspoons butter or 4 teaspoons margarine
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms, stems removed or 1 lb white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups diced cooked turkey (3/4 lb.)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in rice.
- Slowly add chicken broth, water and sage.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon (3 tsp) of the butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender and liquid has evaporated, 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 400 degree F.
- Grease bottom of shallow 2-quart baking dish with remaining 1 teaspoon butter.
- Spoon rice into dish and top evenly with turkey.
- Spoon mushrooms over turkey.
- Whisk together soup and wine in bowl; pour over top of mushrooms.
- Bake casserole until sauce is hot, 25 to 30 minutes.
- (If top becomes too dark, cover loosely with foil during last 15 minutes of baking.) Sprinkle top with parsley.
- Makes 6 servings.
I was a bit disappointed that the rice didn't fully cook. Still 5*, because the flavor more than made up for it. I think it needs 50 min. in step 7.
Very tasty. I tried the suggestion of 45 minutes - that worked for us. This is definitelyy a welcome addition to my repretoire of turkey leftover recipes. Thanks!
I don't know who or what LHJ is - but this was another good way to finish off the bird! I tried 50 minutes for step 7 as suggested by Evewitch but the rice was too mushy - perhaps the next person could try 45 minutes. Thanx Bev!