1/1 Photo of Hearty Tomato Soup
I took this recipe from a cook book I have that is called "Brain Foods For Kids: Over 100 Recipes To Boost Your Child's Intelligence." I got it as a send-in freebie from Kashi. I made a few tweaks to adjust to what I had on hand and added star pasta to try to bribe my picky daughter to try it. She loved it and asked for seconds! Veggie broth could be substituted for the chicken stock to make this vegan. Alphabet pasta would be something fun to try for the kids as well. The lentils are packed with protein so the 4 large servings are a meal alone. You could add grilled cheese to this and serve twice as many.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook lentils per pkg directions until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over med heat, add onion and saute til translucent.
- 3Add carrots and celery and cook a few minutes more.
- 4Add tomatoes, lentils, stock, and bay leaf.
- 5Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to med low and simmer 25-30 mins or until lentils and carrots are tender and the soup has thickened a little. Remove the bay leaf.
- 6If you like your soup smooth, now would be the time to zip through it with an immersion blender, or continue to next step if you like it chunky.
- 7Add pasta and bring back to a simmer. Simmer about 10 mins stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- 8Remove from heat, season to taste and enjoy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.2
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 4.5 mg
- Sodium 458.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 9.6 g