Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I took this recipe from a cook book I have that is called "Brain Foods For Kids: Over 100 Recipes To Boost Your Child's Intelligence." I got it as a send-in freebie from Kashi. I made a few tweaks to adjust to what I had on hand and added star pasta to try to bribe my picky daughter to try it. She loved it and asked for seconds! Veggie broth could be substituted for the chicken stock to make this vegan. Alphabet pasta would be something fun to try for the kids as well. The lentils are packed with protein so the 4 large servings are a meal alone. You could add grilled cheese to this and serve twice as many.
- 1⁄4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup pasta, star shaped
- salt and pepper
- Cook lentils per pkg directions until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over med heat, add onion and saute til translucent.
- Add carrots and celery and cook a few minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, stock, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to med low and simmer 25-30 mins or until lentils and carrots are tender and the soup has thickened a little. Remove the bay leaf.
- If you like your soup smooth, now would be the time to zip through it with an immersion blender, or continue to next step if you like it chunky.
- Add pasta and bring back to a simmer. Simmer about 10 mins stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- Remove from heat, season to taste and enjoy.
my kids demolished this!! i served it with grated cheese on the top and, with wholemeal bread and butter, it made a healthy, economical tea. i will definitely make this again. i cooked the lentils with the veg and they were perfect. i also found that the small pasts shapes only took 4 minutes to cook. next time i am going to add a chopped red pepper. thanks for a fab recipe x
This was really good, and was well liked by my family. Thanks for a really good soup.