Recipe by Olha
A nice soup to make if you have fresh tomatoes from your garden.
Top Review by Graybert
This is a wondeful chowder! I made this last night and DH has polished off the whole thing! Very easy to make and very tasty. I had to use canned tomatoes as my tomato crop this year is nill! I also added a bit of fresh corn and some broccoli. This is so worth making - very filling, simple to put together and soooooo tasty. I also added a bit more spice - pepper and salt. Thank-you for posting this delicious chowder!
- 6 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cups fresh carrots, sliced
- 1 cup fresh potato, diced
- 1 cup fresh celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beef broth, tomatoes, sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoons pepper and garlic in saucepan; cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add mashed potatoes and continue cooking 10 minutes more until soup is thick.
- Add carrots, potatoes, celery, mushrooms, parsley, thyme and basil and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Mix meat with remaining salt and pepper.
- Shape into 1/2 inch balls.
- Saute in butter until browned.
- Add to chowder.
- Serve as main dish soup for luncheon or dinner.
- Makes 3 quarts.
- All About Tomatoes.