Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This soup tastes even better the next day, adjust the chili flakes to suit heat level or you may omit, for best flavor make certain to lightly brown the ground beef --- this soup freezes excellent without the addition of cooked pasta.
Top Review by Epi Curious
Great, hearty soup! Loved this...it will be made many more times in my household and is so quick and easy to throw together. Only a few changes: added 1/2 a small can of tomato paste because I tend to like a more tomato-ey flavor in my soup and subbed diced potatoes for the pasta. Also used a drained can of carrots and peas instead of fresh carrots and added 1 can of beef broth for additional flavor. I think this soup allows for a lot of improvising & using whatever you have on hand or left over in your fridge...great stuff, a must try recipe. Thanks, Kitten, for another winner!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped (do not mince)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavors)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to suit heat level) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can green beans, drained (use whole or cut green beans)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt (to taste) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- cooked pasta (use your choice of pasta and any amount desired)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the ground beef in a pot with onion until no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in garlic, basil, oregano and chili flakes; cook stirring over medium-high heat until lightly browned (about 8 minutes).
- Add in chili powder and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato soup, whole tomatoes with juice, water, and diced carrot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat breaking up the tomatoes slightly with a fork.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes of simmering add in the kidney beans, whole or cut green beans and seasoned salt; simmer for another 15-20 minutes seasoning with black pepper about halfway through cooking.
- Mix in the cooked pasta until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.