Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I threw this soup together the other night using only ingredients I had on hand. It was fabulous, fulfilling, and best of all, cheap to make. Serve with crusty bread and shredded cheddar on top.....and a glass of red wine and a movie! PS You can also add other vegetables to this soup: anything goes!!!
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 lb brown lentils
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes (any type-diced, stewed, whole, etc. is fine)
- salt and pepper
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Saute onions and celery in olive oil cooking spray until onions are translucent.
- Add 1 lb brown lentils, vegetable broth, water and .the cans of tomatoes.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are soft and celery is tender.
- NOTE: I used 8 cups of broth plus one cup water for a thicker soup. If you desire a thinner soup, you may want to add an extra 2 cups of broth if desired.
5 thumbs up for a healthy, hearty soup! Everyone may not love this soup, but I did, especially with it being high in protein and sooo low in fat. It was also super easy to put together. I did add about a teaspoon of dried basil to enhance the tomato flavor. I used fire-roasted diced tomatoes and about 3/4 lb. of lentils (all I had), so I didn't need to add water. I will enjoy this for leftovers! Thanks for creating this, Shannon!