Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This one has been with me for so long I don't remember when it wasn't 'in my book'.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans roma tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, well rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, well rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, well rinsed
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 lb saltine crackers
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 1 cup half-and-half (half milk & half cream)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 lb Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (again)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- chicken stock
- Place the tomatoes, beans, and Worcestershire sauce in crock pot set on high.
- Place crackers, salt, black pepper, and powdered milk in a blender, grind to fine crumbs.
- In a 6-quart bowl beat the eggs with the half-and-half.
- Add the crumbs and mix well.
- Add the meat and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Brown and crumble meat, Drain on paper towel.
- Wipe pan with paper towel.
- Return to heat and add oil.
- Sauté onions and bell peppers 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 6-8 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Place meat, vegetables, and seasoning in pot; mix well.
- Add enough stock to cover ingredients.
- Cover, reduce heat to low.
- Cook 5 hours.
- Top each bowl with grated cheddar and a bit of fresh grated Parmesan and broil to a 'golden brown' or maybe over rice or pasta, With cheese or without?.
- Oh Yah--garlic bread! Don't forget the garlic bread!