Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A hearty meat and vegetable dish for those cold winter nights.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless beef roast, trim excess fat
- 1 lb boneless pork roast, trim excess fat
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 medium fresh hot pepper, quartered
- water, to cover
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, cut into 8 pieces (pick of the chick works well)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup medium diced bell pepper
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups peeled seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, strings removed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- spice essence, to season
- In a large, heavy pot, over medium heat, add the oil.
- Season the beef and pork with salt and pepper.
- Sear the meat, in batches, for 2 minutes on all sides.
- Add the red wine to deglaze (about 1 minute).
- Add the onions, garlic, and hot pepper.
- Cover with water (approx. 3-4 quarts).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until tender (approx. 3 hours) Season the chicken with salt, pepper and essence.
- Add the chicken during the last 1 ½ hours of cooking.
- Remove the meat, chicken and vegetables, set aside to cool.
- Discard the vegetables.
- Add the remaining vegetables to the pot.
- Continue to cook for 1 hour.
- After the meat is cool, cube the beef and pork into 1" pieces.
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and cube into 1" pieces.
- Add the cubed meat to the vegetables.
- Continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Re-season if necessary.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Serve with fresh bread or corn bread.