Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you.
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 1⁄3 cups water, plus
- 4 -5 tablespoons water, divided
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and 1-1/3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in enough remaining water to form a soft dough. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- For filling, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water, taco seasoning and cooked rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in eggs and cilantro. Spread over crust.
- Cover and bake for 15-17 minutes or until filling is set. Cut into squares. Top with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
It is one excellent tasting dish.....seems like lots of preparation though....but isn't any home cooking that way???