Recipe by Rita~
The onions, carrots, celery, potatoes and garlic are sauteed first to enliven the sugars in them. This comfort soup gets a wonderful smokey flavor from your choice of ham bone or shank or smoked turkey wings. It's swirled with sherry. Topped with bacon bits and croutons.
Top Review by catsoplenty
This soup is absolutely delicious! I haven't made split pea soup in a long time but had a ham bone and some ham broth that I didn't want to go to waste. I'm sure I've never put potatoes in my split pea soup before but this sounded interesting. It turned out wonderful!! I have to say that I did not use the oregano, bay leaf or sherry.....personal preference.......but I followed everything else as written. This is definitely a keeper in my book! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, sliiced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked pork shanks or 2 smoked turkey wings
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas
- salt & pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2-1 cup garlic herbed croutons
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot heat oil add onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and carrot saute for 5 minutes add garlic, oregano, bay leaf, salt, pepper & ham bone stir 1 minute. Add peas and cover with enough water to completely submerge all ingredients by a couple inches.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 3-4 hours, until thickened be sure to stir throughout the cooking. The longer you cook it the thicker it gets.
- Go ahead a sneak a taste.
- Season with hot pepper sauce and black pepper Drizzle with sherry.
- Optional I prefer-Blend all but meat in a blender to smooth out.
- Garnish with croutons and bacon bits.