1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
I plan to try subbing tortellini in this soup when I make it. Not yet tried, but recommended.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 6 cups store-bought low sodium chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 (5 ounce) bags baby spinach leaves
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Stir in brown rice and return to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch-oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth and rosemary; bring to a boil. Cover, and remove from heat.
- 3Check rice after 30 minutes; if it is not yet tender, cover and continue cooking, up to 10 more minutes. Stir 2 cups cooked rice (reserve remaining rice for another use) and chickpeas into broth; return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- 4Stir in spinach; cook, uncovered, until just wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Spinach and Chickpea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (736 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 672.4
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 683.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 27.8 g