Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I plan to try subbing tortellini in this soup when I make it. Not yet tried, but recommended.
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 6 cups store-bought low sodium chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 (5 ounce) bags baby spinach leaves
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Stir in brown rice and return to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch-oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth and rosemary; bring to a boil. Cover, and remove from heat.
- Check rice after 30 minutes; if it is not yet tender, cover and continue cooking, up to 10 more minutes. Stir 2 cups cooked rice (reserve remaining rice for another use) and chickpeas into broth; return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Stir in spinach; cook, uncovered, until just wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese; serve immediately.