Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my favorite (and healthy) winter foods.
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup beans, cut into inch long pieces
- 1 leek
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small Spanish onion
- 1 small ripe tomatoes (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) packet soft tofu
- 1 cup strained tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Wash and drain pinto beans.
- Peel and cut carrots into inch long pieces.
- Mince garlic, dice leek and onion.
- Saute leek, onion and garlic in the olive oil. When the leeks and onion become soft, add the carrots and beans, saute for about five minutes. Add the spices and salt. Then add the beans and the strained tomatoes. Mix well for about a minute, then add the broth and the water. Bring to boil.
- Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Dice the tomato and the tofu. Add to the soup and simmer for about 5-10 minute.
- Take the soup of the heat. Add the lemon juice. Garnish with few sprigs of fresh cilantro. Serve hot and enjoy!
Very tasty. The only spices I used were salt and paprika. I cut the baby carrots and green beans smaller. Used crushed tomato where it called for strained tomato. Used white navy beans. And I cooked it for longer than it called for. Hubby and I both give this 5 stars.
Delicious hearty soup. Served with Pepperoni & Cheddar Corn Muffins in a "jiffy" Pepperoni & Cheddar Corn Muffins in a "jiffy". A great soup for a snowy cold winter day. Thank you for sharing