Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tired of the same-old, same-old spaghetti? This is really good! The seasonings and herbs are not set in stone...you can adjust to your own taste if desired! But DELICIOUS!!
- 3 slices bacon
- 3⁄4 lb ground pork
- 3⁄4 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- In large frying pan, cook bacon til crisp, remove to paper towels to drain. Crumble, set aside.
- In bacon grease, cook pork, sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic over med-high heat til meat is browned and veggies are tender, stirring ocaisionally.
- Drain well.
- Add wine, bring to boiling. Boil 10 minutes or til liquid is absorbed stirring ocaisionally.
- Stir in bacon, UNDRAINED tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, brown sugar, basil, thyme and bay leaves.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or til desired consistency.
- Remove bay leaves.
- (*Or leave them in and whoever gets them has to do the dishes!).
- Serve over hot, cooked spaghetti noodles!
- *Sliced mushrooms and black olives are also nice additions!
This was quite good and easy to prepare. I skipped the bacon and added a little more pork sausage, it had a nice flavor. I used whole wheat pasta and served it with a salad and Italian bread for a nice meal. Made for ZWT4
Lovely change from the ordinary. I added mushrooms & a little extra seasoning. Served with gluten free spaghetti, topped with a little parmesan for a fabulous dinner. Thanks Kelly for another winner. Made for ZWT4
This was great! I added a bit of extra garlic and threw in some sliced mushrooms as suggested. Next time I think I will use spicy sausage to up the zest and add the olives too! All around a great recipe that my family really enjoyed. My mom came over to pick up my son and even commented on how good the house smelled to boot. Thanks! ZWT4 Summer '08