Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This makes a rich, hearty sauce that gets better the longer it cooks. Sub fresh herbs for dried- I usually try to :) Also great with green pepper, olives or mushrooms added.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon basil
- 2 -3 teaspoons oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine or 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- brown beef and sausage with onion. drain.
- add garlic, spices, tomatoes (all of them), sugar, wine and water.
- bring to a boil.
- reduce and simmer at least 2 hours until thick, the longer the better!
I made the sauce using all the ingredients listed except I only used 1 lb. of ground beef. I let the sauce simmer for an hour without the meat then removed about 2 cups to use as a marinara sauce and added the meat to the sauce with some mushrooms and continued to simmer it for another hour. I served it over spaghetti and we really liked it though I do prefer my sauce a little thicker.....using only a lb. of beef may have altered the consistency some. Made for My Three Chefs 2013.