Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
1990 Award for Creativity, Build a Better Burger Contest. Wayne Fairchild, Shreveport, Louisiana
Make and share this Hearty Southern Bean Burgers recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, drained (may use canned beans)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- vegetable oil
- all-purpose flour
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 18 bread and butter pickles or 18 dill pickles
- 6 slices tomatoes
- 6 lettuce leaves
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Make the patties: mash the peas in a large bowl using a fork.
- Add in the onion, egg, salt, pepper, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce; mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 portions and form the portions into patties to fit the buns.
- Lightly brush the patties on both sides with oil, then lightly dust with flour.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil; place the patties on the rack, cover and cook, turning once very carefully, until well browned, firm to the touch, and no longer gooey when cut into with a small, sharp knife, 5-6 minutes on each side.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- To assemble: spread the cut sides with mustard, mayonnaise, and ketchup.
- On each bottom bun, place a patty, 3 pickle slices, a tomato slice, and a lettuce leaf; add the bun tops and serve.