2 hrs 30 mins
I made this recently using chopped sirloin, it was really good! If you have any dried chipotle chili powder then throw in a tablesoon. You can use wine in place of the beer if desired. Serve this with crusty buns and a side salad, this dish is delicious! I strongly advise to make this a day ahead and refrigerate, the flavors will blend together to create a more intense flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 tablespoons vegetable oil (more as needed)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional, add in if you like extreme heat!)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (I just use the ones packed in the jar)
- 2 -4 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons cumin (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cups consomme or 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped onion
- sour cream
- 1In a shallow dish mix together flour, seasoning salt and cayenne pepper.
- 2Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or pot.
- 3Toss the sirloin with the flour mixture to coat, then brown well on all sides shaking off any excess flour then remove to a plate or bowl.
- 4In the same pot saute the onions and dried chili flakes (if using) for about 3 minutes.
- 5Add in green and red bell peppers with jalapeno peppers and garlic; cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- 6Add in chili powder, cumin and oregano, then return the browned beef back to the pot along with any juices from the plate or bowl.
- 7Pour in beer and consumme or beef broth; stir with a wooden spoon and bring to a boil.
- 8Cover and reduce heat to a simmer; cook 1-1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- 9After the 1-1/2 hours, add in the crushed tomatoes and cook for another 35-40 minutes.
- 10Add in black beans and kidney beans, season with salt and pepper; simmer for another 20 minutes.
- 11Ladle into bowls then top with sour cream cheese and onions.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Sirloin Chili
Serving Size: 1 (558 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.3
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 90.7 mg
- Sodium 716.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 48.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: