Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This delicious recipe sticks to the ribs and will please the whole family. My own personal version of the traditional English classic. High altitude tested.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can peas, drained
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- to taste ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 5 cups soft mashed potatoes, real or instant
- to taste paprika
- Heat olive oil in frying pan.
- Add onion and celery and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until brown.
- Drain, if necessary.
- Add peas and toss gently.
- In a bowl, combine the two cans of soup, worcestershire sauce, onion soup mix, pepper, milk and water.
- Whisk until well-mixed.
- (Should be the consistency of gravy.) Add soup mixture to beef mixture and stir well.
- Pour beef mixture into greased 13x9x2 pan.
- Gently spoon (or pipe) mashed potatoes over all.
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, or until potatoes are lightly browned and beef mixture is bubbly.
This was good, but a little salty. I would suggest using low sodium canned soups. I also added a can of corn for some color.
This was really good. It went over well with my family! I didn't find it too salty at all. I used frozen peas instead of canned ones (I didn't thaw them, mixed them in frozen) and 45min was perfect. I would like to use real potatoes next time (I used instant) but it was still really good. I added canned corn to my own portion and next time I will add it to the whole thing, it added the sweetness it was missing. This was a great meal with ingredients I had around the house! :)
I thought this was very good!! Next time I make it I will cook the celery until it is tender. I served it with a salad and dinner rolls. I will be making this again.