Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nice chunky chowder. Easily doubled.
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 4 teaspoons butter or 4 teaspoons hard margarine
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh scallops (cut in half or cut smaller) or 1⁄2 lb frozen scallops (cut in half or cut smaller)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (or apple juice)
- 1 cup cream (the heavier the better)
- Put first 10 ingredients into large saucepan. Simmer, stirring often, to dissolve bouillon cubes and cook vegetables. Remove bay leaf. Cool a bit and run mixture through blender. Set aside in saucepan.
- Combine butter and mushrooms in frying pan. Sauté until mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Add scallops and wine. Cover and steam fry about 1 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. Add to pureed vegetables.
- Stir in cream. Heat but don’t boil. Garnish with parsley or chives and little fish crackers if you wish. Makes about 6 cups chowder.
- Company’s Coming for Christmas.
Creamy , thick tasty chowder. This is so quick to put together and the pureed vegetable base is lovely and you could easily chnage this up and add different types of seafood/fish. My pureed veggies were very thick so I used a mix of skim milk and light cream instead of a heavy cream but it still was so thick and creamy Made for Belly Warmers January Event