Top Review by JennyMidget
Worth the cooking time - rich and tasty, comfort food at its finest! Just be warned if you're counting calories (as I am) - the calculator on Food.Com hasn't counted the sausages in its nutritional facts, the real calories for this dish are about 630, rather than 257. (Noo maybe if you just entered the sausages as Pork Sausages it'd correct?) A small quibble, and more my problem than any actual issue with the dish.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 8 pork and herb sausages
- 1 sliced onion
- 2 sliced celery ribs
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 150 ml red wine
- 600 ml chicken stock or 600 ml vegetable stock
- 410 g haricot beans or 410 g cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish. Add the sausage and brown. Remove the sausage and set to one side. Add the onion, celery and thyme and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and flour and cook for approx 1 minute.
- Pour in the wine, bring to the boil and bubble to reduce it by about 2/3rds. Add the stock and bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Halve the sausages diagonally and return them to the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes until the sausage cooks through and the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the beans and cook for a further 5-10 minutes to heat them through; season to taste.