Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just a bit different than your usual chowders. Makes for a good supper when we are in the midst of a wintery storm here in Nova Scotia. Warms the heart and feeds the soul.
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can salmon, reserve half of the liquid
- 2 teaspoons soft margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet green pepper (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup zucchini (optional)
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- Drain& flake salmon, reserving liquid.
- In a large nonstick sauce pan, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Cook onion, celery, green pepper& garlic, stirring often for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots, chicken stock, water and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover& simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add salmon, reserved liquid, evaporated milk and corn.
- May add more pepper to taste.
- Heat through and serve.
We eat salmon at least twice a week, but it never occured to me to make a chowder with it. I'm so glad I came across this recipe - I have a completely different way to cook salmon now! This was hearty, delicious and healthy. The recipe didn't state when to add the zucchini, so I added it with the potatoes and carrots. I also made half again as much so I could use the whole 12 oz. can of evap. milk and a large can of creamed corn. This is really good served with oyster crackers.
This was fantastic !! I used my left over Alfredo sauce from a couple of nights ago instead of the milk which gave it a little more protien from the shrimp and crab meat. No one even knew that there was grated zucchini in this soup..LOL .This soup was so good we all had second servings..
I made this to use up some left over salmon AND because I had a husband who is dieting. Fat grams on this are very favorable. This was very good and worthy of eating even not on a diet. Tasty and satisfying.