Just a bit different than your usual chowders. Makes for a good supper when we are in the midst of a wintery storm here in Nova Scotia. Warms the heart and feeds the soul.
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can salmon, reserve half of the liquid
- 2 teaspoons soft margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet green pepper (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup zucchini (optional)
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- Drain& flake salmon, reserving liquid.
- In a large nonstick sauce pan, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Cook onion, celery, green pepper& garlic, stirring often for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots, chicken stock, water and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover& simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add salmon, reserved liquid, evaporated milk and corn.
- May add more pepper to taste.
- Heat through and serve.