Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A delicious and hearty stew that is vegan and gluten free. It is hard to believe there is no meat in this dish!
- 6 quarts water
- 1 bunch celery, Cleaned, trimmed, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 3 white onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 lb carrot, cleaned, and tops trimmed off
- 1 bunch flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 3 bell peppers, Seeded, and quartered (Any Color)
- 3 large tomatoes, Cored and halved
- 2 medium turnips, Peeled and medium diced
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) cancanelli beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cansflat Italian cut green beans
- 2 shallots, Minced
- 2 zucchini, Halved and cut into 1-inch Pieces
- 1⁄2 lb russet potato, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb portabella mushroom, stems removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 9 whole heads garlic, plus
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 ears fresh corn (Or 1 15 oz can)
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary (Crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place carrots, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes (skin side down), and turnips on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and roast until brown and caramelized, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Place roasted vegetables in a large stock pot, add water, celery, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, Parsley Leaves, and 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Reduce oven heat to 400 degrees.
- Slice the bottoms off each head of garlic to expose the bulbs, about 1/4 of an inch. Drizzle with olive oil, then wrap in aluminum foil.
- Place on a cookie sheet with potatoes and corn. Drizzle corn and potatoes with olive oil and place uncovered in oven.
- Roast until the potatoes are browned, and the corn is browned, about 35 minutes.
- The garlic will need to roast until soft, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the Kernels from the corn.
- Strain the vegetables from the broth, retaining the broth in a large pot.
- Remove the peppercorns, bay leaf, garlic, and cloves during straining.
- Allow strained vegetables to cool, remove approximately half of the celery and discard.
- Chop the remaining strained vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- Remove roasted garlic from foil, and press out the roasted garlic from the bulbs. Mash garlic with a fork, or mince if not completely softened.
- Heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a large pot (I use the one I boiled the veggies in).
- Saute shallots and jalapeno for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Add zucchini and portobellos, saute until softened.
- Add roasted garlic and saute briefly.
- Add retained vegetable broth, chopped vegetables, potatoes, corn, canned Canelli Beans, Canned Green Beans, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Salt, Lemon Juice, and Cayenne Pepper.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer for 15 Minutes for flavors to mingle.
- Serve with gluten free Vegan Corn Bread.