2 hrs 15 mins
A delicious and hearty stew that is vegan and gluten free. It is hard to believe there is no meat in this dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 quarts water
- 1 bunch celery, Cleaned, trimmed, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 3 white onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 lb carrot, cleaned, and tops trimmed off
- 1 bunch flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 3 bell peppers, Seeded, and quartered (Any Color)
- 3 large tomatoes, Cored and halved
- 2 medium turnips, Peeled and medium diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can canelli beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans flat Italian cut green beans
- 2 shallots, Minced
- 2 zucchini, Halved and cut into 1-inch Pieces
- 1/2 lb russet potato, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb portabella mushroom, stems removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 9 whole heads garlic, plus
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 ears fresh corn (Or 1 15 oz can)
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary (Crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Place carrots, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes (skin side down), and turnips on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and roast until brown and caramelized, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3Place roasted vegetables in a large stock pot, add water, celery, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, Parsley Leaves, and 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed.
- 4Bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- 5Reduce oven heat to 400 degrees.
- 6Slice the bottoms off each head of garlic to expose the bulbs, about 1/4 of an inch. Drizzle with olive oil, then wrap in aluminum foil.
- 7Place on a cookie sheet with potatoes and corn. Drizzle corn and potatoes with olive oil and place uncovered in oven.
- 8Roast until the potatoes are browned, and the corn is browned, about 35 minutes.
- 9The garlic will need to roast until soft, about 45 minutes.
- 10Remove the Kernels from the corn.
- 11Strain the vegetables from the broth, retaining the broth in a large pot.
- 12Remove the peppercorns, bay leaf, garlic, and cloves during straining.
- 13Allow strained vegetables to cool, remove approximately half of the celery and discard.
- 14Chop the remaining strained vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- 15Remove roasted garlic from foil, and press out the roasted garlic from the bulbs. Mash garlic with a fork, or mince if not completely softened.
- 16Heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a large pot (I use the one I boiled the veggies in).
- 17Saute shallots and jalapeno for a few minutes over medium heat.
- 18Add zucchini and portobellos, saute until softened.
- 19Add roasted garlic and saute briefly.
- 20Add retained vegetable broth, chopped vegetables, potatoes, corn, canned Canelli Beans, Canned Green Beans, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Salt, Lemon Juice, and Cayenne Pepper.
- 21Bring to boil.
- 22Simmer for 15 Minutes for flavors to mingle.
- 23Serve with gluten free Vegan Corn Bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Roasted Garlic Vegetable Stew
Serving Size: 1 (904 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.9
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 114.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: