Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
They suggest using a little curry powder to replace the cinnamon, i will be using both. Serve with chicken or pork Cooking light October : calories 258, fat 7.4 (sat 0.8), carb 42.4
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium low-fat vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups granny smith apples, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Place quinoa in a fine sieve, place sieve in a large bowl. cover with water, using your hands, rub grains together for 30 secons. Rinse and drain. Repeat procedure twice. Drain well.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in saucepan over medium high. Add onion, carrot and garlic. Sautee 5 minutes until tender and carrot starts to brown. Stir in broth, quinoa, salt and cinammon. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Fluff with a fork, keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a nonstick skillet over med high. Add apple to pan, saute 6 or 7 minutes until begins to brown. Add apple, almonds and pepper to quinoa, tossing to combine.
I love this recipe! I had it as a side dish the other night with a pork roast. I used the leftovers for lunch and added some butternut squash. Yum!
I added sausage and used chicken stock. The first bite was startling but by the third bite we liked it. I think I will use curry instead of cinnamon next time or cinnamon with a little hot red pepper for balance because I agree, it was a bit sweet. Very creative way to use this healthy grain. Thanks for sharing!
this was good. i added trader joes chicken apple sausage to make it a meal. the dish was pretty sweet.. next time i will add more curry powder and maybe even a little cayenne pepper.