Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Warm, filling and savory! This is a rich easy chunky homemade soup that really satisfies. I leave out the ham and use vegetable stock sometimes and it becomes a yummy vegetarian dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups pumpkin, peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks or 4 cups butternut squash, prepared the same way
- 2 tablespoons peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 1⁄2 cups lima beans, frozen
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup ham, chunks bite sized
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Saute onion, celery, pumpkin, ginger and garlic in butter 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in broth, potatoes, lima beans, corn and bell pepper.
- Boil then cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add ham.
- Whisk milk, flour, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Stir milk mixture into pot and bring to boil.
- Stir a few minutes until thickened.
Loved the soup. The only thing I'll change the next time would be to saute the celery and onions first and for longer. It was way too crunchy for my family. I used a butternut squash for the pumpkin, having never eaten one before I was leery of making this, but the soup was excellent. It had a unusual taste to it and is something different to make.
Very good ! If you like corn chowder you will like this chowder also. I did use a small pie pumpkin. I did not have fresh ginger. The chowder is very colorful with the red peppers and the orange pumpkin. Could be served as a special fall dinner for guests. This is a keeper. Thanks SaraFish for sharing. I am still enjoying making and eating this chowder.