Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
Great chilly weather soup.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups cubed 3/4 inch potatoes
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 cups American cheese
- 8 ounces cooked Polish sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- In 3-quart saucepan melt butter.
- Stir in onion; cook over medium heat until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth and bubbly, about 1 minute.
- Stir in potatoes, milk, salt and pepper. Cover; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and sausage. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted and sausage is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
This recipe worked so well for our family. My daughter is vegetarian so we made it without the sausage then took her share out and added the sausage to our pan. I will make this again. Very hearty and delicious