This is a very flavorful soup that is a comfort food for my family. The recipe was given to me by my Portuguese mil over 30 yrs ago. Her mother had passed it on to her. This soup is easily stretched to make more servings. The Chorizo gives the broth a good base for adding another can of beans or more pasta or a little water. Soul warming for a cold night, serve with a warm crusty bread. A great next day soup. Freezes well.
- Remove casing from sausage and cut into smaller than bit sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy soup pot; saute the sausage& onion just until the fat is rendered, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Add other ingredients except kale,& pasta.
- Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add kale, and pasta and simmer about 8 minutes until both are tender.
- Taste for seasoning- depending on how spicy your sausage is, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve piping hot.