Prep 1 min
Cook 5 mins
To top off whole wheat pizza dough, or rotini/fusilli pasta noodles. (Note for dieters: If you're adding 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, it's only going to add about 100-120 calories to the entire sauce, and 10g. of fat. That's actually pretty low once divided amongst the pizza.)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce (Hunt's Original is best in this situation)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute (My mother always has "NoSalt" around the kitchen)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (more pepper for a spicier paste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (too much and the sauce tastes minty)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon basil (french basil is best)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley, ground (optional)
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/4 cup) (optional)
- Place Tomato Sauce in saucepan, stir on medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, and optional garlic powder. Stir for another 3-5 minutes, then remove from stove top. (For cheese users: You may add the shredded cheese in while sauce is simmering on stove for a hidden cheesy taste, recommended when using sauce for pasta. If you would rather have a cheese layer on your pizza, wait until spreading the sauce, and then sprinkle over top.).
- Spread it on your pizza dough, mix it in your pasta, or save it in the refridgerator for later. Enjoy!
The sauce is very good. Great choice of seasoning. I didn't use the obtional cheese. It was enough for 2 pita pizza. Thanks CafeAronzo :) Made for Cookbook tag game
super easy and delicious, but, definitely double this recipe - i did, and it was JUST enough to cover the 1 pizza crust as the sauce. Made for PAC Spring 2010