Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This quick to fix baked pasta dish was a family favorite when the weather turned chilly... Came from Grandma's Kitchen
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 -14 1⁄2 ounce canned stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, cheese. divided
- Preheat the oven to 400, lightly grease large casserole dish.
- Cook penne pasta according to the package directions. Slice mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic; sautee for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and beef to the saucepan, cook until beef in browned. Stir in tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, basil & cream; simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked pasta to saucepan, stir in 1/4 cup parmesan; mix well. Spoon pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining parmesan over top. Cover; bake for about 15 minutes. Uncover; bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes longer.
As I was putting this in the oven I was thinking it was going to be very blah. It eneded up being pretty good. I would, however, change a thing or two. First of all I would say it makes more like 8-10 servings, not 6. Secondly I think I would use two cans of diced tomatoes, drained instead of one can of stewed undrained. There were random large hunks of tomato throughout and some of the servings didn't even have any tomato when scooped out. I also should mention I used whole wheat penne and it worked nicely. Thank you for sharing - I found this recipe using the random search.