Recipe by jlhgirl540
An old family recipe and one of my favorite things to eat on a cold winter day! Notes: I like to keep the oxtail meat on the bones when serving- they taste delicious, too! But feel free to remove them after cooking and shred the meat if you prefer. Also try adding less water to this recipe and making a pot-pie from it.
- 3 lbs fresh oxtails, cleaned
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (1 lb) candiced stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons celery salt
- 4 cloves
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 3 large carrots
- 1 lb green beans, ends off & halved
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄3 cup barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll oxtails in flour, lightly and evenly brown them in butter in a large stew pot.
- Add water, salt and pepper, onions, canned tomatoes (be sure to include all the liquid as well), tomato paste, Worcestershire, sugar, celery salt, cloves, bay leaves and carrots to the pot.
- Bring ingredients to a boil; cover, and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add green beans, potatoes and barley to the stew. Simmer for 1 more hour, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool and skim grease if desired. Serve and enjoy! :).
- If you can't eat all of it, don't worry, it's even more delicious & flavorful the next day! It also freezes quite well.