Recipe by Nova Scotia Cook
Ah yes, here we go with yet another stew recipe!! Don't recall where I got this recipe, but have been making it for years. It is so darn simple to make and tastes mmmmmm good. The original called for Pillsbury Flaky Biscuits that could be added to the top of the stew but I prefer it without. I much prefer to have homemade buttered tea biscuits with this meal. However, I have added the instructions for the biscuits just in case you might like to try it that way. Hope you like this stew as much as my hubby & I do.
Top Review by Lvs2Cook
This stew was very easy to make ~ I used carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and threw in some frozen peas. The meat did not have as much flavor as I had hoped. I ended up just eating the vegetables but DH liked it very much and ate several helpings. I baked my biscuits on the side as suggested. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb stewing beef, cut into cubes & drenched in
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 -4 cups cubed vegetables, 1/2 inch cube (I use potato, carrots & turnip)
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 (8 ounce) canpillsbury ready-to-bake refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits (If you wish to add biscuits) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in oven proof skillet on top of stove.
- Brown the stew meat.
- Remove from stovetop.
- Add cut up vegetables and mix through the meat.
- Sprinkle onion soup mix over the top.
- Add 2 cups of hot water.
- Bake 50- 60 minutes.
- Upon removing from oven should you wish to add the biscuits, do the following- Separate biscuits and cut each in half crosswise making 20 halfmoons.
- Stand on cut edges around pan sides.
- Return to oven for 10- 12 minutes until biscuits are golden brown& cooked on their bottoms.