Recipe by Chef Buggsy Mate
This is a recipe originally found in Taste of Home. It is a wonderful loaf of bread to serve warm with a favorite soup or stew.
Top Review by GaylaV
People are so right, this could not be any easier. It wasn't my favorite oatmeal bread but it was good. I think I would prefer either a bisquit or bread than this combination. That said, I have another loaf in the oven because we did like it and it is so easy. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oats, plus
- 2 tablespoons oats, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (can use fat-free)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2 cup oats, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Spread batter into an 8 or 9 inch round baking pan that has been coated with a non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining oats.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool on a wire rack.