Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great bread recipe
- 1 cup rolled oats (divided)
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats (divided)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope quick-rising yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (around 105 degrees)
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Combine 1 cup of oats and 1 cup of boiling water in a large bowl; mix well.
- Add honey, butter and salt, stirring until butter melts. Cool to luke warm.
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir dissolved yeast into cooled oat mixture.
- Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a 15x8 inch rectangle.
- Roll up jelly roll style, beginning with one short edge.
- Pinch ends and seam to seal.
- Place dough seam down in prepared pan. Cover; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush dough with milk; sprinkle with remaining oats.
- Bake bread until browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped, about 40 minutes.
- Remove loaf from pan; place on wire rack to cool.