Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple and comforting. Low in fat and contains barley (yay) a criminally underused grain.
Make and share this Hearty Mushroom Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 25 g porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 500 g fresh mushrooms, such as chestnut, finely chopped
- 1200 ml vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- 5 tablespoons marsala or 5 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 100 g pearl barley
- grated fresh parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- Put the porcini in a bowl with 250ml boiling water and leave to soak for 25 minutes
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, carrot, garlic, rosemary and seasoning.
- Fry for 5 mins on a medium heat until softened.
- Drain the porcini, saving the liquid, and finely chop.
- Tip into the pan with the fresh mushrooms.
- Fry for another 5 mins, then add the stock, marsala or sherry, tomato purée, barley and strained porcini liquid.
- Cook for 30 mins or until barley is soft, adding more liquid if it becomes too thick.
- Serve in bowls with Parmesan sprinkled over, if desired.
- Once cooled can be frozen for up to one month.