Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 28 ounces low-sodium low-fat chicken broth (2 -14 oz. cans)
- 10 3⁄4 ounces 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add oil and tilt pan to coat bottom pan.
- Add yellow onions; cook 8 minutes or until just begining to turn golden.
- Add carrots and cook 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, barley; worcestershire sauce and thyme; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in green onions, salt and pepper.
This was wonderful, I saute'd the mushroom slices with the onions. Then followed the rest of the recipe.
This soup is fantastic!! The only ingredient change was I used 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil instead of just 1 teaspoon. Unfortunately I didn't have carrots, but next time I will definitely use them. Thanks for posting this wonderful soup!! A 5-star recipe indeed... :)
The only change I made was to use just a little more oil during the saute and more salt and pepper. Very hearty and filling. We loved that it was lower in fat and had a great taste. Thanks Dancer^. We love your recipes.