Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a great recipe for an hearty appetite, and has a wonderful flavor.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck, cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups beef broth
- 14 ounces cansof crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- frsh rosemary sprig (optional)
- In large saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat, add half the meat.
- Cook and stir 2-3 mins.
- or until browned, remove with slotted spoon.
- Repeat with remaining meat and onion, return all meat to pan stir in beef broth,crushed tomatoes,mushrooms,oregano,garliF and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat.
- cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrot, return to boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer soup for 7 mins.
- Combine cold water and cornstrach, add to pan along with rice.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Add wine, heat for 2 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf, Garnish with rosemary.
Very nice proportions and I very much enjoyed the smooth texture. I liked it better before I added the wine, personal choice. My beef was good, but I used barley instead of rice, another personal choice. This was a very hearty soup for this sub-zero night. Thank you!