Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 lb oil, hot or 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 can tomatoes, chopped (28 oz)
- 1 packet frozen spinach, chop (10 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, Sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cut beans
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 can romano beans
- 3⁄4 cup shell pasta
- Prick the skins of the sausages; place in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Drain; cut into slices.
- In a large saucepan or dutch kettle, heat oil and lightly brown the sausage slices.
- Add the onions and garlic; cook 2 - 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes including juice, frozen spinach, carrots, beans, basil, marjoram and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the romano beans including liquid, and the pasta and peas.
- Let simmer 5 - 7 minutes more or until pasta is al dente - tender but firm.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Thin soup with additional chicken stock (if you wish).
- Ladle soup into heated bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
This is one of my favorite soup recipes. Very tasty, simple and quick--with lots of healthy veggies. I often use turkey Italian sausage to make a little healthier.