Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A satisfiying, hearty soup that's great as a main dish. Simply delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage (crumbled or sliced)
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup kidney bean, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni (or other pasta)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (to garnish)
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil and butter.
- Add sausage and brown lightly.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, carrot and green pepper. Cook until softened but not browned.
- Stir in zucchini, parsley, basil, thyme, chili flakes, bay leaf and a little salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add beans and pasta. Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes. If too thick, dilute with water to desired consistency.
- Serve with Parmeson sprinkled on top (optional).