Recipe by DuChick
This is a great vegetarian meal in itself. Add a panini or grilled cheese to the side for those two-handed eaters in your house. Small shaped pasta such as orzo or ditalini work best, but you can experiment with others. I find the flavors meld overnight and even tastes better as left-overs.
Top Review by Starrynews
Wonderful soup! So flavorful and delicious, and very quick to make. I used chicken broth, shell pasta, and fresh carrots, zucchini, red pepper, and green beans. Thanks for sharing! PAC Spring '12
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup small shell pasta, dry or 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta or 1⁄2 cup ditalini, is suggested
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen vegetables, Italian Blend is suggested
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil leaf
- salt and pepper, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth, beans, and tomatoes to boil in large saucepan.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth mixture and pasta and simmer until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in vegetables and basil and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.